I was raised the first child, a tomboy, of a simple family. My dad worked basically wherever he could find work. A mechanic out of high school, a factory worker after that and now I'm not sure. My mother was a housewife until I was 15. Then, she became a cook at a local family owned restaurant and I joined her. I washed dishes.
I had moved out of my parent's house after turning 14. I lived next door to them in my paternal grandmother's home. It was a small bit of freedom and enough to feel on my own.
I didn't learn a lot growing up. Nothing that I can think applies to my life as a wife and mother that works outside the home. I find it difficult, at times, to juggle the demands of my life.
I taught myself to cook and do so from recipes. Without recipes I'm lost. We weren't allowed to help in the kitchen as children. It was all part of the "Go Play" mentality. I can only imagine the same was the case for my mother. I'm trying to change the pattern for my daughters, getting them involved whenever I can.
I wonder if women who are raised by parents living lives that they also then live feel more "put together". I almost always feel overwhelmed. That no matter what there is always something that is left unfinished or worse not even started.
This is about everything... It's my sounding board and my accountability. It's where I praise triumphs and clear my thoughts.
Sunday, February 2, 2014
Unfinished
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment