Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Full Range Chicken

We start our workouts with various types of warmups. Today we started with the "Dynamic Warmup" which is a sprint at 60/70/80/90%.  Followed by high knees, butt kickers, up and out, out and kick back, fast skip, high skip, long skip, broad jump (which, by the way, I must not be doing right because my toes bang against the inside front of my shoes), frankenstein, karaoke (which is a grapevine but the back knee is crossed high in front), lateral lunges, duck walks
During the week that I missed Coach started something called "Foundations" and "Maverick Warm Up".  I was literally dripping sweat before we even got through the warm ups! Nuts! 
Our lifting for today was working on Snatch Balance. We went for a 10 minute heavy single.  My previous max was 65#.  I started at 45# and worked my way up. I was able to get low into the squat up until 65#. But when I went for 70# I didn't squat as low as I wanted to.
A few months ago Coach told us that we shouldn't use a naked bar for lifting.  So I got used to using the 15# bar and adding weight from there.  Today when we were lifting Lauren saw me using it.  She told me that I need to get used to start using the woman's bar (35#).  I explained to her that the woman's bar seems to teeter on either side of me but that the smaller bar seems to "fit" me better.  Lauren explained that she understood but when I start competing I won't be allowed to use the 15# bar.  Kinda sucks!
The WOD today was called "Full Range Chicken".  It was a 12 minute AMRAP.
15 Chest 2 bar pull-ups
10 box jumps
10 sandbag touch and go
(1 sec pause at top)
For the pull-ups I used the hollow rock position and did my best to pull as high as I could.  The box jumps weren't that bad; I'm getting better at not being terrified of face plants. The sandbag was heavy. Touch and go meant that we had to pick it up on one side of our body, take it over our head and drop it on the other side. At some point during the WOD or just after I ripped the skin off one of my knuckles.  Youch!
Before our workout began I used the 35# bar and did 3 sets of 10 rows.  Coach said that's one of the moves that will help build back muscles for pull-ups. I also worked on double unders.  One of the guys gave me some pointers on my getting better at them.  He said that I'm jumping too fast.  He said that he used to have the same problem.  He said he would jump too quickly and wouldn't be able to spin the rope fast enough to jump it. He told me there's a pattern to it and that once I learn the pattern it'll be easier for me. So, I'll be working on stringing those together. =)

No comments: