Thursday, February 6, 2014

Active Rest

Thursdays are active rest days at The Box.  Here's how today played out.
Dynamic Warmup
Bring Sally Up (the song is called "Flower" by Moby; everyone knows it as Bring Sally Up) Thrusters 55#   I'm not gonna lie.  That was rough, especially with my hip hurting from yesterday.
There was a scheduled Make-up time. If you'd missed any lifts from the beginning of the week this was your shot to get them done.  Coach Olivia also gave us that same time to "work on something you suck at."  I worked on Snatches and Double Unders. 
I used the same 55# bar that I already had.  Olivia queued me to bring my elbows up higher.  I adjusted and continued.  I have trouble getting under the bar. I seem to insist on omitting the squat all together.
My Double Unders are coming along.  I'm not really consistent with them though.  I can get them one at a time and sometimes I can string together up to three.  But, then I get excited that I've strung them together and lose it. So I'm trying to use the queues that the coaches have given me. "Keep your hands in your pockets", "use aggressive wrists", "jump steady, turn quick".
After our "suck work" she created a Coaches Choice WOD.  5 stations, 45 seconds work; 15 seconds rest, 4 rounds.  
3 pushups into Wall Walks (it's a handstand progression where you start in a plank and walk your feet up the wall behind you as you walk your hands closer to the wall; till you're in a wall handstand then walk both back to the floor)
Jumping Lunges (I asked to not jump because of my hip; instead I did weighted walking lunges)
Ball Slams 30#/50#
Rolling Tucks (not sure if that's the name; it's a Pistol progression. Starting on your back, bend your knees, tuck into a ball and roll forward onto your feet.  Once you have that continue but roll forward onto one foot with the other leg stretched out into a Pistol position.
Alternating Planks - alternate from forearm planks to straight arm planks.


It was a very active Rest Day.



No comments: