Monday, February 20, 2012

Blacksburg Classic 5k


That's me on the left and my friend Bliss Runner on the right. This submission will be my first ever race recap.  I started out my 2012 deciding that I had participated in a few 5k(s) and would train for a 10k.  There is a local one in May so I decided I would train for that one.  Since it was so early in the year I also decided that I would take the first weeks of the year and train, on my own, and do a 5k as well. I wanted to increase my mileage and speed. 
I had been training mostly on the treadmill up until this tour of Lose Big started. Then Bliss Runner suggested that I take my treadmill training to the track. She said it would be more like the surface I would be running on and it would be better for me to get used to it.  While I agreed I think I should have given my legs more than two weeks on the track surface.
Wednesday before race day my legs were tight... Sara, my Lose Big coach, suggested Tiger Balm and Ace Bandages. So for the next three days I did just that. Not to mention a few times a day I also added ice as well. 
Saturday morning, my legs weren't that tight. Hubby drove me and our daughters to the race 40 minutes from our home.  I played my iPod through the truck stereo.  Jamming the entire drive. 
All the runners met at an elementary school.  The race was set to begin at 1PM.  They stopped traffic for us. We all lined up in the street.. all 680+ of us.. Then we set out... we crossed a school crossing sign and it had begun.  Bliss stayed with me for the first mile. Checking in on me.  She knew that my legs were bothering me.. but I knew that I would hold her back if she stayed with me.  I knew right away that I hadn't dressed properly... too many clothes.  I shed my hat before I'd reached a mile and lost Bliss just after.  I ran what I could.. a slow run.  I promised myself that I would just go to finish. But I wanted a better time than last time. 
The problem is there hasn't been a last time. This was a new track and a new run.  It's difficult to convince myself of that. 
The race was on the neighborhood streets and a large two lane paved trail that surrounds the grounds of the college. It was very nice. A good place to run.
As I came to the end of the race I found myself facing a strategically placed hill and then rounding the corner to see Bliss waiting. She'd finished and circled around to cheer me on. I kicked it into a higher gear and sprinted to the finish.  I absolutely love to sprint to the finish!!



No comments: