Thursday, July 19, 2007

Family Matters

On Sunday I got a text message from my sister - "are you still at work", I replied "no', the response that came back was "call me" So, I did. Kim had gotten a call from someone that works with our mom, Debbie, and stepdad. Our stepdad, Bobby, had had a heartattack at 1230pm that day while at work. The way the story has been told and retold to me is After the first heart attack Mom took Bobby to the hospital in their town. While he was there he had three more heart attacks before 6:30pm. It was at that time that he was airlifted to my small city 80 miles away. Bobby's daughter brought Mom here and after a while left.
Since then of course has been a difficult week. I've not really spoken to my mother since I was 14, when I moved out.. just off and on... more of a mutual thing really. In any case, she doesn't have a cell phone, the same girl that brought Mom here ran her cell phone bill up to over $1,200 from calling, texting and downloading.. then proceeded to steal the bill out of the box so Mom wouldn't know. Anyway, I digress.... so she doesn't have a cell phone, left in such a hurry that she didn't get any clothes for herself, they live on very little means so she didn't have any money to eat here. I offered repeatedly for her to stay here or shower here or whatever... I took her to Wal-mart a few times whatever she wanted I bought. Gave her money just in case. and while she was at my house taking a shower I gave her clothes to wear. I just tried to do anything I thought would help her.
I've learned that Bobby has no medical insurance. I just can't understand how that's going to work... two hospital bills - two surgeries (one being a triple bypass) yadda, yadda, yadda.. Now he's partially disabled...
She's upstairs now.. just went up to bed. Monday she came here took a shower and asked to go back to stay there that night.. she was able to stay with him. They opened him up on Tuesday to look around... found 7 blockages. They started prep'ing him for surgery on Wednesday and then at some point found another blockage in his neck. So they pushed the surgery to today, Thursday.
His surgery went well. The blockages were corrected and he was in his room resting when we came here tonight. I stayed out of work today to go sit with mom and keep her company.. She did well too. She came back here tonight to rest, she wasn't allowed in his recovery room so hopefully a good night's sleep in an actual bed will do her good.

No comments: