Saturday, May 26, 2007

Secret Pals...

There's a group of moms in my neighborhood, about 10 of us. We have a "Secret Pal" thing that we do. This is the second year running... We met in December last year to pick new pals for 2007. Everyone was to fill out a sheet of their favorite things, collectibles, places to eat, special dates, etc. Well, not only did the woman I wound up getting not show to our little event but the person who filled out her sheet barely wrote anything down. We have returning moms from last year, a couple new moms and two that aren't even in the neighborhood.
So far, this is the second time this year I've thought about quiting. I walked through the store with my two year old daughter thinking "What do you get a woman you know hardly anything about for Memorial Day?"
Why on earth are we doing every holiday? Maybe a few big ones.. and a couple cards during the year for me seems like a nice gesture. Rather than spending $40 or more per month, per holiday, per season...etc.
Last year was odd. The mom that I had wasn't buying for her pal and instead of leaving it alone or telling her about it my neighbor starting giving faux gifts.
This year everyone has something going on.. something major it seems. And with the rise in pricing of every single thing in the world I think it's a little much to buy for someone else when I've been guarding money for other spending. I went "browsing" tonight for something to get my "pal" for Memorial Day. Nothing seemed to be what I was looking for. I wanted something with flags on it.. and only found a picnic basket. But then it struck me that I would have to put something in the basket.... so I didn't do that. Finally, I settled on a snow cone machine and some flavors for it. I'm still not sure if I will give it to her or look at something else tomorrow.
For the life of me I can't figure out why I'm still doing it. It sounds like a fun thing to do. And it is, it's fun to get together with friends, fun to laugh and talk, and always fun to get presents. But, I had originally mentioned this whole thing to my neighbor. I thought in the beginning that it would be a good idea for our kids to do something for each other's birthdays and surprises .. something fun for them that they could look back on years from now. But then she mentioned it to another hen and somewhere during their conversation it turned it to an out of control - girl spend all - buying/giving every month thing!

No comments: