My very first day of having only one job went as well as it could, with both kids at home, 12 inches of snow on the ground and 7 months pregnant.
However, little did I know that at 4PM on that day I would receive a phone call from a manager at "the bank" asking me to come work for him for 30 days.
"I'm calling to ask a question... and to beg."
"Beg? Really?... ok, you've got my attention."
A position that I used to have (I worked for 14 people, gathering the information from clients needed to complete mortgages. ie - you'd send me your taxes, proof of home owners, proof of income, etc) has two people doing it and they are in need of help. One of them "C" is cutting her hours because her mom is in the hospital with cancer and she's devoting a large majority of her time to her mom. (Proud of her for that). "C" also happens to be in the same boat I was, currently working at "the bank" that you've worked at over 10 years - but do to the merger you're now only temporary because the new owners have completely closed your department. Or in her case completely cut her position. "A" is the other woman currently in this position, and since I got the phone call I've been told by various sources that "A" is taking some time off as well. No one was sure how long.
So, go back to the bank... for 30 days (or longer if I want) as a temporary rep.
(I can only have a temporary position for a total of 18 months & I've already worked 2 of them)
Or stay at home continuing to do the paper route nightly
Or go back to work at the bank and keep the route like I've done for the past 11 months
Or go back to the bank and eventually give up the route, hoping that I'll find a full time position within the bank within the next 16 months
Of course there are pros and cons to each. With the bank its temporary and I really won't know when or if it will ever be permanent again.
Almost the same with the paper route, if the paper should go under (alot have recently) I'm toast.
A pro with the bank.. I've been there for 11 years, people know me/my work/etc.
A pro with the route - it's nights only, I have the days free to plan dr visits, checkups, dental appts, errand running, school visits, parent teacher conferences, you name it.
A con with the bank - As with most jobs, I'd have to account for every minute not spent there, and use the allowed "time away" for all the visits that my kids need.
A con with the route - It's every night - no matter the weather, the holiday, if I'm sick, whatever. If I need a day off I have to find someone to cover for me and I have to pay them.
There's been alot of talk among the people that remained at the bank as temp employees. We were all offered a severance and then before the notice period were offered the temporary position, and it was sugar coated with 'they will be posting for the jobs that you're doing in February' (as of 02/15, there has been no posting)
Some of us have left in an attempt to see if after a 45 day time frame they would receive their severance and then come back as a temp employee. I'm not quite sure if that's something those particular people were worried with or if they were in a spot to do this because there have only been two to do this.
Well, I have a few questions that need to be answered before I know what I should do. I really hate to burn a bridge.
2 comments:
I say, do it. Save the money.
I hope you are okay.
I haven't heard or seen you.
Is the baby okay?
Post a Comment