They would say run laps... I ran laps. We started slow.. maybe two laps and got up to 16 laps (two miles) right around mid November. We had a challenge on November 20th... a 5k! It was officially my first race. My son jogged beside me the entire way; through grassy ballfields and over a few gravel paths but no pavement ... "You got this, Momma!" and including stopping to use the port-a-potty, we finished in 37:03 (even in high school I walked the mile - cause my parents told me that I shouldn't run because of asthma, which by the way I don't have.. but I'm not going there!)
I signed up and ran a 5k Thanksgiving morning, pushing my 5yo through the streets of our small city... (pavement) She and I finished in 43:23. I was a little discouraged by my time, I thought at least it would be close to my previous time but they were two very different races. I noticed my leg starting feeling some pain but ignored it. I kept training and working out twice a week with the girls.. then adding one or two cycling classes every week... all the while my leg keeps hurting.
I went to my sports med doctor nearly 3 weeks ago.. it's a stress fracture. I cried. Cried like he'd just told me he'd have to hack it off right there in the office. Truth be told... I was scared to death that he would tell me that I wouldn't be able to run the 10k that I'd signed up for in April. And... that's exactly what he told me.
I've been wearing an air cast since I saw the doctor. I go back to him on Monday to see what he thinks of my progress.
He wanted me to stay off my leg. He wanted me to stay on crutches and wear the air cast 23 hours a day. It's been very difficult. Difficult being a mom with 3 kids that depend on someone to do basiclly (it feels like) everything for them.
I've been stressed. I can't do much and have lost my running. It's odd how quickly I came to love running. Love the way I feel... there are so many feelings it gives me and I'm going through withdrawls.
No comments:
Post a Comment